The Centre for Self Sponsored Programmes (CESSP) was established by the University of Nairobi vide Statute XXXV in 2005.
It remained un-operational as its functions were being carried out by the University of Nairobi Enterprises and Services (UNES) Limited, a fully-owned subsidiary company of the University. UNES was formed by the University in 1996 with the mandate of carrying out commercial activities on behalf of the University.
To refocus UNES to its core mandate, the University Council, in consultation with the UNES Board, resolved in 2014 to transfer to the University the management of student fees, which was being carried out by UNES on an agency basis. Consequently, the University undertook to operationalise CESSP from 1st March 2015 so as to assign the management of student fees to it as it was established for that purpose.
CESSP was established to coordinate the delivery of University programmes to self-sponsored students. I doing so, CESSP has the following core functions:
- Promotion of the self-sponsored programmes of the University.
- In conjunction with the respective Colleges, maintain accurate records and statistics for self-sponsored students.
- To constantly liaise with the academic units and the Directorate of Quality Assurance on matters relating to quality assurance and quality maintenance of the academic programmes.
- To review and make recommendations on appropriate fees and other charges for the self-sponsored programmes.
- To collect fees from all self-sponsored students in conjunction with the various academic units.
- Disbursements of funds to various units of the University in accordance with the existing University policy.
- Payments to Direct Service Providers in accordance with prevailing university policy.
- To perform any other functions as may be assigned by the University Council from time to time.